Work in Canada

Canada is a country of immigrants. In order to sustain economic growth and help the country’s development, its government welcomes foreign workers and professionals. There are plenty of advantages to working in Canada: competitive wages, government regulated optimal working conditions, which ensure such benefits as overtime pay, health insurance, vacation pay, etc. Therefore, each year about 300,000 foreign nationals come to legally work in Canada on Work Permits. In order to have a right to work for Canadian employer, nearly all foreign workers must obtain a work permit (with just a few exceptions for specific jobs, such as members of the clergy or military personnel).

Types of Work Permits

A work permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows foreign nationals to legally work in Canada.

  • Regular Work Permit is employer specific, meaning that it allows a holder to work exclusively for the employer that is indicated in the document and to perform a specific job. Moreover, such a work permit is restricted to a specific location and has a timeframe.
  • Open Work Permit is not employer specific. Spouses and common-law partners of temporary foreign workers, foreign students currently enrolled in educational programs in Canada, as well as international students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution are eligible to apply for such permits.

Application process

The most common steps and requirements to obtain a Canadian work permit are the following:

  • The foreign worker must get a job offer from an eligible Canadian Employer and be eligible for a job in Canada (have no criminal record, offer no threat to national security, do not work for ineligible employers, be in good health and be prepared to leave Canada when the permit expires)
  • The employer must apply and go through the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application process. Canadian employer who wishes to hire a temporary foreign specialist may need to get a positive LMIA issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). ESDC will only grant a positive LMIA in a case when the employer has proven that no Canadian permanent resident or citizen match the position;
  • Once the LMIA is granted, the foreign worker can apply to ESDC to obtain a work permit;
  • A work permit will be issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer to the applicant upon arrival in Canada;
  • Please note that in case if the country of origin is not a visa-exempt country, a foreign worker must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to come to Canada;

Would you like to find a job in Canada? Performance Immigration can help you to get a Work Permit. Contact us for more!